Genealogical Societies and Groups
These are the currently-active genealogical societies in the San Diego area.
Be sure to check the current events page for holiday hours and special events.
- Chula Vista Genealogical Society (CVGS)
- General meetings on the last Wednesday of the month at noon, with society highlights, guest speaker and refreshments, at the Chula Vista Civic Center Library, 4th and F Streets in Chula Vista, 619-691-5069. Help is available at the Library Mondays at noon. Computer Group meets on the 3rd Wednesday at noon in the Library Computer Lab to discuss and demonstrate computer usage, genealogy software and Internet research. Research Group meets on the 2nd Wednesday at noon in the Library Conference Room to discuss genealogy research problems of members and guests in a round-table format. Queries for South San Diego County are welcomed and answered quickly.
President: Virginia Taylor, 619-425-7922 , firstname.lastname@example.org
Address: PO Box 3024, Chula Vista, CA 91909-3024
Last update: 31 Dec 2012
- Computer Genealogy Society of San Diego (CGSSD)
- Meets 9 a.m.-noon every 3rd Sat. of the month except December, at the Robinson Auditorium complex at UCSD, La Jolla. From North Torrey Pines Rd., turn at Pangea Dr. into UCSD. Free parking in parking garage on left; use any A, B, or S spaces. Follow signs to CGSSD. Maps at www.cgssd.org. 9 a.m. - User groups for Family Tree Maker, Legacy, Macintosh, and RootsMagic, plus several SIGS(DNA, New Genealogy Websites, etc.) on a rotating schedule. 10:00 - Refreshments. 10:15-noon: Announcements and speaker. Quarterly newsletter, COMPU.GEN. Membership: $20 for 12 months from month paid.
President: J. Paul Hawthorne, email@example.com
Address: PO Box 370357, San Diego CA 92137-0357
Email: cgssd-board at ucsd.edu
Last update: 04 Nov 2013
- Escondido Genealogical Society (EGS)
- Meets monthly (except July & Aug.) on the 4th Sat. at 10:15 a.m. at the Turrentine Room in Escondido Public Library, 247 S. Kalmia. Luncheon meeting at a restaurant in Feb. Genealogical Computer Interest Group meets after the main program. Also seminars. Bimonthly Newsletter.
President: Barbara Wickham, 760-489-7760, bw4662 at aol.com
Address: P.O. Box 2190, Escondido, CA 92033-2190
Last update: 30 Jan 2013
- Hispanic Genealogy (HGSG)
- Bonita Family History Center, 3737 Valley Vista Way, Bonita; meets the third Wednesday of each month at 6:00 p.m. Contact Diane Godinez,619-429-8880.
Last update: 16 Nov 2012
- Italian Genealogy Society of San Diego (Italian GS)
- Meets at noon on the 4th Sat. of Feb., Apr., June, Aug., and Oct, and the 1st Sat. of Dec., at Borrelli’s Restaurant, 285 El Camino Real, Encinitas 92024 (see map at www.borrellispizza.net).
President: Gregory Palazzolo, firstname.lastname@example.org
Last update: 09 Jan 2014
- North San Diego County Genealogical Society (NSDCGS)
- Meets the 2nd Tuesday of the month -- 10 a.m. Business meeting and sharing; 1:15 p.m., Computer Oriented Genealogy Group (COGG). Meets the 4th Tuesday of the month -- 10 a.m - noon: Program. Beginners Class on the 2nd Saturday of of Jan., Mar., May, July, Sep., Nov., 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. Spring and Fall seminars, annual potluck, yard sale. Dues provide materials for the Genealogy Division of the Carlsbad Cole Library. Membership: $25 Individual, $30 Family, $500 Life (Individual or Couple. Meetings are held in the Carlsbad City Council Chambers, 1200 Carlsbad Village Dr. Classes are held in the Community Room of the Cole Library, 1250 Carlsbad Village Dr.
President: Marge Kealey
Membership: Dorothy Miller, email@example.com
Address: P.O. Box 581, Carlsbad, 92018
Last update: 02 Jan 2015
- San Diego African-American Genealogy Research Group (SDAAGRG)
- Meets on the 2nd Saturday of the month at the Malcolm X Branch Library, 5148 Market St., San Diego, or the San Diego Family History Center, 4195 Camino del Rio South, in Mission Valley. Watch the Calendar of Events to confirm the location each month.
President: Margaret Lewis, 619-262-5810, IBeMarti at yahoo.com
Address: P.O. Box 741956, San Diego, CA 92174-1956
Last update: 28 Oct 2014
- San Diego County Genealogical Association (SDCGA)
- Meets monthly except Jul., Aug. & Dec. on the 3rd Thursday at the Sizzler Restaurant, corner 4th & Main, Ramona; 6 p.m. dinner (optional), 7 p.m. program.
President: Jacqueline Beck, 760-789-2534, jqbeck at prodigy.net
Address: P.O. Box 422, Ramona, CA 92065
Last update: 11 Jan 2009
- San Diego Genealogical Society (SDGS)
- Meets monthly at 10 a.m. on the 2nd Saturday (Feb. through Nov.) at St. Andrew's Lutheran Church, 8350 Lake Murray Blvd. (at Jackson Drive), San Diego. The 2nd Saturday of January is an all-day seminar. Also trips to genealogical research facilities. Private genealogical research library for members; open to the public 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Thursdays, and 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the 4th Saturday of each month; a minimum $3 donation day use fee for non-members.
President: Diane Lott, SDGSinfo at yahoo.com
Address: 7343 Ronson Road, Suite O, San Diego, CA 92111-1430
Phone: 858- 279-SDGS (7347)
Email: SDGSinfo at yahoo.com
Last update: 17 Sep 2012
- San Diego Jewish Genealogical Society (SDJGS)
- Meets 1-3 p.m. on the 2nd Sunday of the month (except May and Jewish holidays; contact firstname.lastname@example.org for meeting day) at Lawrence Family Jewish Community Center, Senior Activity Room (2nd Floor), 4126 Executive Dr., La Jolla (near UTC). Extensive private library, borrowing privileges for members only. Membership $28 per year. Meetings: $0 fee for non-members.
President: Jean Moss
Address: PO Box 927089, San Diego CA 92192-7089
Last update: 30 Jan 2015
- Temecula Valley Genealogical Society (TVGS)
- Meets on the 2nd Monday of the month at the Temecula Library Community Room, 41000 County Center Dr., off of Ynez Rd.
General meeting (with speaker), 6:45 - 8:45.
All are welcome. Membership $20 for individual and $25 for a couple.
President: Barbara Perez
Last update: 01 Mar 2014
Listing compiled by Joan Lowrey, email@example.com.